Spicaresque:

A Spanglish blog dedicated to the works, ruminations, and mongrel pyrotechnics of Yago S. Cura, an Argentine-American poet, translator, publisher & futbol cretin. Yago publishes Hinchas de Poesia, an online literary journal, & is the sole proprietor of Hinchas Press.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

MY FATHER IS DOMINGO FAUSTINO SARMIENTO LOOKALIKE!



I think the resemblance is more than striking! Except my father can smuggle way more milanesas de pollo than Sarmiento ever did. But then again, my father commonly refers to his stomach as the chicken grave, o el cementerio de pollos.

Sarmiento started the National Library of Teachers and opened 14 branches of La Biblioteca Publica de Buenos Aires back probably when it was written Buenos Ayres. Maybe his mortal enemy was Rosas, and he even went as far as writing an ethnographic travel guide and taxonomy of Gauchos in which he slays Rosas with his pen. I hope a caricature like Facundo Quiroga actually never existed (I still haven't discerned whether he was a mortal, historical personage or all allegory).

My father, on the other hand, is all allegory but is a caricature of the meathead Boca Jrs. fan. He is like the Sarmiento of Boca Jrs. That's it, my father is the Sarmiento of Boca Jrs. As my study of Sarmiento and his Facundo progresses, I am sure to find incontrevertible evidence that my father and Sarmiento are some sick twister dopplegangers of ethnic diversity.

No comments: