Spicaresque:

A Spanglish blog dedicated to the works, ruminations, and mongrel pyrotechnics of Yago S. Cura, an Argentine-American poet, translator, publisher & futbol cretin. Yago publishes Hinchas de Poesia, an online literary journal, & is the sole proprietor of Hinchas Press.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

And on the Seventh Day, the Lord created Futbol

On Sundays, I play futbol cinco at the Harlem YMCA. This outfit is better known as the Harlem Y Indoor Soocer League. We have a myspace page, www.myspace.com/harlemyindoorsoccer, and snazzy shirts with our alises on the back.

I have been working on a series of poems that address my devotion to futbol Sundays; I have written odes to Pele, Johan Cruyff, and of course, Maradona. I love to play futbol but I am not such an avid follower when it comes to the teli. I fast when the World Cup comes to town, but aside from that I don't really watch soccer. My father, on the other hand, is a devout Jesuit of Boca Jrs., and has been since he was like eight years old.

I have tried to ecllipse my culture's predeliction for futbol for many years. I started playing at six, but as soon as my dad started being the coach all the time, I gave up futbol and switched to the electric guitar. But now, I love it and breathe it and want to know as much about futbol as I possibly can. That means, reading great books on soccer like Franklin Foer's, How Soccer Explains the World. I recommend this book for anyone interested in the scope and reach of the beautiful game.

Yago

No comments: