Spicaresque:

A Spanglish blog dedicated to the works, ruminations, and mongrel pyrotechnics of Yago S. Cura, an Argentine-American poet, translator, publisher & futbol cretin. Yago publishes Hinchas de Poesia, an online literary journal, & is the sole proprietor of Hinchas Press.

Monday, June 1, 2009

ACCEPTANCE SPEECH


On May 28, 2009 I was presented with the David Cohen Multicultural Award by the faculty at Queens College. I was honored and elated after having shown off for two years, I finally got some recognition and esteem. On the way to school that day, I brought along Frank O'Hara's Selected Poems by Donald Hall and a piece of paper with which to write a thank you. The image alongside this post is that piece of paper, and my speech was pretty much straight from that piece of paper. I was going to read the Frank O'Hara poem "Naptha" but decided against it. But getting up there and wagging my little finger at my peers was something that I just could not miss.

No comments: